What is the role of head of marketing?
What is a head of marketing?
As the head of marketing, you will be leading all marketing activities from social media and digital campaigns to advertising and creative projects. A head of marketing develops plans to establish the organisation’s brand and organising projects, to set short-term and long-term department goals.
- Prepare and manage monthly, quarterly, and annual budgets for marketing departments
- Setting and monitoring on team goals
- Create strategies for digital marketing team, advertising, communications, and creative teams
- Design and plan branding and positioning
- Help to create a strong brand message and identity across all channels (events, email campaigns, web pages and socials)
- Monitor and analyse competitors
- Analyse consumer behaviour and customer personas
- Liaise with sales and marketing teams to coordinate efforts and build brand awareness
- Plan and execute company objectives for each year
Types of head of marketing roles:
- Chief marketing officer
- VP of marketing
- BA or MA degree in business, marketing, communications, or related field
- Previous experience as head of marketing or VP
- Experience with the specific industry the role is being sourced for
- Knowledge of web analytics and Google Adwords
- Experience working with CRM software such as Hubspot
- Experience and proof of having worked on successful marketing campaigns
- Strong leadership skills and time management skills
- Analytical in nature
- Comprehensive knowledge of business and brand management
In this role you are not limited as the skills and knowledge required will be transferable to similar managerial roles and will even allow you to work your way to up to be a VP of marketing and then a Chief marketing officer.
- Marketing manager
- Marketing director
- Product marketing manager
- Digital marketing manager
- Marketing coordinator