Job Title: Head of Profession - Programme and Project Management
Salary: £88,500 - £95,000
Head of Profession - Programme and Project Management is required to join a highway Industry. The main function of the role based within our Major Projects Delivery Services division is to be the Professional lead for all Project Management professionals within Major Projects and its supporting portfolio, including the Supply Chain. Providing advice and guidance on professional and organisational delivery best practice, whilst developing our core Project Management disciplines and capabilities as one of the UK's largest infrastructure delivery organisations.
You will lead the MP Professions & Standards function which includes a focus on capability development, career pathways, APM accreditation and our Graduate / Apprentice Programme and Heads of Professions in Planning and Scheduling, Risk, Cost, Quality and Design Management. This is a unique opportunity to own and develop this model within MP and across HE, driving a common approach and 'ways of working' across all our Major Projects as system and process owners.
The post holder will liaise with and represent Highways England and Major Projects within the Infrastructure industry, liaising with Project Management professional bodies and Supply Chain organisations to identify opportunities for continuous improvement and the ongoing development of our Professional capabilities.
What you'll be leading on:
- Functional (process, systems, and tools) - Develop, maintain, and manage appropriate processes and procedures, systems, and tools, within the project management profession to work in the most effective way, in line with business need. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Process and system ownership across Quality, Design Management, Planning & Scheduling, risk, cost, and baseline management through the investment lifecycle.
- Ensure these common ways of working are maintained and reflected in the Project Controls Framework, managing their development and refinement as required.
- Contribute to the development and evolution of the Delivery Framework.
- Create and maintain networks with project sub-portfolios to provide support and guidance on application of process and systems into the project environment
- Ensuring there is common understanding and execution of projects and programmes, whilst still enabling appropriate tailoring for specific project and programme environments/requirements
- Functional (organisation and people) - Development and management of the MP Project and Programme Management Community. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Creation and maintenance of relevant Communities of Practice, both company and with Supply chain partners, to articulate process and system requirements, gain feedback on efficiency and effectiveness of process and support continuous improvement
- Benchmarking our capabilities, setting the required standards, skills for Project and Programme managers to successfully deliver our RIS 2 commitments.
- Working with Programme and Project Directors and HR on specialist Project and Programme Management recruitment activity.
- Provision of specialist knowledge and experience to enable the effective development of employees within Project Management in line with the Career Pathways and the Competency Assessment Tool. Further, to work alongside HR L&D and Programme Directors in the development and ongoing review of the associated learning curriculum.
- Delivery - In liaison with Delivery Teams and Divisions:
- Work with senior delivery staff to identify areas of continuous improvement across all professions, and where appropriate, sponsor or lead the delivery of these improvement workstreams
- Lead on development of Best Practice Reviews (BPR) on projects, working in conjunction with Programme/Regional Directors and providing feedback to project teams and ongoing support
- To promote the Project Management Profession across other Directorates within the company.
To be successful you'll need:
- To demonstrate experience leading large and complex capital projects, programmes and/or portfolios, delivering in a highly regulated environment
- Experience in operating in a 'hub and spoke' operating model, providing consistent support services to delivery functions
- The ability to ensure cross functional alignment between the various Divisions within Major Projects and wider company Directorates and to develop and lead the Project Management Community.
- A high level of competence in Project and Programme controls across all disciplines
- A high level of competence in Design/Engineering and Construction practice to ensure integration with Project Management profession
- To demonstrate a track record of managing business and/or value management cases for new projects through company defined governance, review, and approval gates
This is a great opportunity for a candidate to join an organisation that is investing and growing and get the opportunity to shape and define your role. Please click apply if you would like to be considered for this opportunity!