Looking for a Head of Platform Operations to join a leading group in the education sector. Prior management experience would be ideal as you would be leading an existing team.
Salary: £120,000 - £130,000 per annum
Location: Fully Remote (Offices in London & Sheffield if preferred)
About the Organisation
With more than 13.7m education professionals and enthusiasts in their online community using over 900k classroom resources and working relationships with 25,000 schools in over 100 countries they have the scale to make a difference. Their innovative products and services are delivered through a range of partners across the globe. They help schools find the teachers they need; they bring new teachers into the profession through initial teacher training; they provide teachers with continuous professional development and help educators with safeguarding training and compliance. They provide innovative tools to help teachers succeed in the classroom as well as bring educators together online so they can share expertise and provide them with vital news and information about education.
They are a leader in using digital technology to make life easier for schools and teachers. The services offered play a critical role helping teachers and school leaders deal with the challenges of providing high quality education to millions of children across the globe.
They are teachers, journalists, designers, technologists, salespeople, events managers, software engineers and more. Together, they are socially engaged and united by their passion to support educators, schools, and students. They're committed to providing an inclusive and engaging workplace where everyone's contribution is valued.
Key Role Responsibilities
The role is responsible for managing 24x7 platform operations primarily in AWS. Responsibilities include management of the platform underpinning our websites, automation of services and changes, managing associated 3rd party services, platform support for the Product Development team, network services across their hosting platform and between themselves and AWS as well as the day-to-day operations of the AWS platform.
- Line management responsibility to include performance management, allocation of work, objective setting and KPIs
- Work collaboratively with internal and external teams ensuring that the AWS platform supports current and future needs of the business ensuring operational requirements are considered as part of platform services life cycle management.
- Work in conjunction with Product Development teams to ensure our platform is aligned with their technology strategy.
- Ensure workloads and effort are managed and aligned with the activities and priorities of other teams.
- Understanding and commercial experience of working in an Agile framework and with globally distributed teams.
- Ensure all activities are logged, monitored, and escalated as appropriate including security and major incident management.
- Maintain and manage services within the allocated operational budget.
- Implement, manage, improve, and monitor service levels to agreed target levels.
- Management of all AWS services, servers, networks, operating systems, virtualization technologies, orchestration and applications and other components as a platform that underpin their website and associated web properties and services.
- Managing operational processes for event, alerting, incident and problem management.
- Management and promotion of continuous improvement for all platform operations and services.
- Management of capacity and availability of web infrastructure to meet operational demand.
- Define and manage the acceptance process for any new services supporting our platform.
- Managing AWS security infrastructure, processes according to business needs and risk appetite.
- Work in collaboration with Engineering teams to ensure changes to our platform are introduced with the minimum of disruption to services and balance risk against investment.
- Collaboration with project teams to ensure, time, resource and costs are in place.
3rd Parties Services
- Identification of the need to engage services of a third-party supplier.
- Define and negotiate services.
- Implement and manage to agreed SLA's.
- Line-management experience to include motivating and managing a high-performance team.
- Building relationships with both customers and internal clients.
- Strong communication, influencing and negotiation skills with a proven record of managing key stakeholders up to and including C level.
- Extensive experience managing AWS services at scale including RI's and approaches to optimizing platforms in the cloud.
- Strong technical knowledge of the following:
- Infrastructure automation
- Virtualization and container services
- Large scale logging and monitoring services
- Networking technologies and protocols
- Commercial experience of Docker, CoreOS, Terraform, Kubernetes
- Infrastructure as code
- Information Security including PCI DSS and ISO 27001
- Strong understanding of data privacy and GDPR regulations
- Understanding of Microsoft and Google cloud platforms
- Experience of migrating workloads into AWS
- Ability to motivate a high-performance team
- Ability to manage ambiguity
- Self-starter and self-motivated
- Ability to manage a globally distributed team