Head of Data Science | London | 120k+ plus package
I'm currently working with a technology first and high growth scale-up, who have created a revolutionary new service and online paltfrom that takes the hassle out of trading second-hand vehicles and allows consumers to buy and sell with complete confidence. By merging the tech and auto worlds they are building the first of it's kind start-up offering in the world.
The start-up is part of a global group of companies, founded over 50 years ago, which is focused on the energy sector, and backed by a $230 billion revenue parent company who are fully supportive of the growth plans. Following success in current markets, they have ambitious plans of expansions in several new emergent countries in the coming months/years.
The Head of Data Science will be a key leadership role within the technology team, alongside the Head of Platforms, Head of Engineering and Head of Delivery. Reporting to the company's CTO, you will be responsible for using data and data science to provide them with a competitive advantage. You will build and lead a team of world-class data scientists and data engineers, acting as a role model and providing technical guidance across all areas of modelling and analytics.
You will own the data roadmap - both the identification of problems and solutions, and also the delivery of the roadmap.
One of the most important areas of ownership will be the AI / ML pricing engines for each market, and application of AI / ML across other areas of the business. You will work with the Business Intelligence team on the monitoring of KPIs and optimisation of the business model. You will use your expertise and instinct to introduce new data sources and models to further improve decision making and where possible decision automation.
- Design a data roadmap that is aligned with the business strategy and immediate needs and own the delivery of this roadmap.
- Engaging with cross-functional teams to understand deeply the business model and requirements for the application of data science
- Design suitable data processing algorithms and models to address requirements, applying suitable AI/ML technologies to gain an advantage
- Use strong business acumen, as well as an ability to communicate findings, and mine vast amounts of data for useful insights
- Use a combined knowledge of computer science and applications, modelling, statistics, analytics and maths to solve problems
- Research, collect, clean and store relevant market data from multiple sources ready for processing pipelines
- Communicate important information and insights to our business leaders
- Make recommendations to adapt existing business strategies
- Formulate hypothesis for model improvement/optimisation, test/validate hypothesis and optimise input data and chosen model
- Recruit, nurture and lead our Data Science and Data Engineering team
- Leadership skills with the ability to collaborate, plan, execute and problem solve
- A recognised authority on a number of data science and analytical specialisms, preferably within a trading and/or ecommerce business background
- Proven experience of influencing Senior Leaders and Stakeholders to champion the value of data science
- Able to use a wide range of data science tools, techniques and programs to practitioner or specialist level with extensive experience of applied data science and/or advance analytics
- Statistics. A demonstrable understanding of Statistics, backed by core principles gained in a quantitative degree like Maths or similar
- Data analysis, data visualization and Hypothesis testing
- Regression, forecasting, Gaussian and stochastic processes
- Python, Node js, Jenkins, SQL databases (MySQL, MS SQL)
- REST API development
- ML software (APIs and Retraining pipelines) productization
- Azure machine learning, storage, computation and Kubernetes services