Reports to the Director of Engineering, with close working relationships to the Heads of Departments and other Senior Managers in the Technology & Change Department and wider leadership community.
A hands-on Data & AI Engineering Leader responsible for driving & delivering the Data Strategy. Co-leads the data engineering & platforms function comprising of internal c20 people and supplier teams delivering data agenda for the bank.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
* Strategy: Responsibility of creating and implementing the data technology strategy and aligning the data engineering function outcomes to organisation vision. Responsible for identifying, promoting & demonstrating the data use cases with the relevant stakeholders to continuously drive value from data.
* Technology: Driving the use of cutting-edge data & AI technologies on cloud to create a modern data platform which provides agility and cost optimisation. Own and evolve the reference architecture of strategic data platform to simplify the data estate of the bank.
* Delivery: Responsible to deliver the data engineering work packages under bank's change initiatives as well as accountable for delivering the data strategy work packages. Delivery includes estimation, planning, technical specification, build and deployment.
* Management: Direct responsibility of the effectiveness of the data engineering function. Coaching, mentoring and performance management of c20 people.
* Governance: Responsible for creating, embedding and governance of policies that drive best practices in data management and foster the "data" culture in the team. Responsible for implementing the balanced design governance that promotes standardisation and repeatability without slowing down the speed of delivery.
* Data & AI SME: Act as the go to person for data & AI related subjects in bank and collaborate with leadership team to create the awareness & investment on the art of the possible with data & AI.
* Reduce Costs and Grow our business - Proactively identify and act on opportunities to reduce waste, improve efficiency, increase productivity and grow our business.
* Play my part in embedding the Blueprint Behaviours and put the customer at the centre of everything we do - Actively ensure the behaviours we have committed to as an organisation are demonstrated, reinforced and recognised in my own area of influence
* Making work mean more - Playing my part in making Vanquis a great place to work, taking responsibility for my own Performance and Development and supporting others with theirs
* Risk Management - Identify, assess, document, manage, escalate, and report the risks associated with my role and business area, ensuring an appropriate control environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM ROLE
* 10+ years of design, implementation, or consulting experience in enterprise environment
* 10+ years of architecture experience in analytics platforms, data lake, modern data platforms entailing streaming, event driven, batch processing and lamba architecture.
* 10+ years of leadership and management experience in IT/data.
* Broad-based understanding of cloud platform services, cloud-native architectures, and cloud infrastructure
* Presentation skills with a high degree of comfort speaking with executives and Management * Experience migrating or transforming legacy customer data solutions to the cloud
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in Banking, Finance sector and sectors involving large data & complexity.
- Practical knowledge of Agile project management and software development methodologies such as Scrum and SAFe. - Expertise in DevOps, Big Data, Machine Learning, or Serverless Computing
- Experience migrating or transforming legacy customer data solutions to the cloud
APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE, PROBLEM SOLVING & INNOVATION
* Role model leadership behaviour that drives the achievement of the Bank's strategic plans in the areas the role is responsible for
* Thought leadership, able to deliver in a Bi-Modal environment, through scrum and non scrum teams
* Bring the technology strategy to life for Data engineering function to ensure data is safe and accessible across the Bank
* Ability to create compelling business cases to attract investment in data engineering function.
* Personally, able to work with minimal supervision taking ownership of tasks in addition to leading others
* Establish and motivate a dispersed team to deliver the Data roadmap for the Bank over multiple years, taking a value driven approach.
Driving change in Data and creating a foundational layer to support our Digitisation agenda, resulting in a seamless, modern experience for our customers and colleagues.