Senior Data Engineer (Fully Remote)
This is where you come in…
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer with big ideas. A problem solver and collaborator who loves a challenge and is always striving to improve and grow. You'll bring everyone along on the journey with you - sharing what you have learned during your career, inspiring others so they can improve too.
By joining the Data Team, you'll come together with our great mix of Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Data Scientists to solve big data challenges. You'll help us empower the business to own and have access to the data which drives decision making at all levels.
The team's work fuels our app, enabling us to explode 7 data points into 1000, turning our customers' trips into holiday experiences.
Right now our goals are:
- to complete our migration to Google BigQuery,
- create the core operational data stores (Customer, Trips, Bookings and Products),
- to simplify and improve access, but to also feed into reporting data,
- to build intelligence into our customer experience.
Whilst you'll initially begin by helping us finish our migration, there is lots of opportunity to expand beyond this, putting your skills and experience to good work so we can take our data capability to the next level. We know that getting customers, trips, bookings and products right - will form strong foundations for what is next.
What we're currently working on
We're moving to a modern data stack, Airflow, Google BigQuery and Looker.
At an exciting time in our data journey, we're working hard on clearing down the last of our legacy tech. After recently decommissioning Redshift we are now focussed on moving the remaining processes away from DB2. This will mean we have all our data accessible in one place, Google BigQuery, with users gaining access to it in a number of different ways including Looker.
But this is only the start, we are on a mission to make it even easier for everyone across the business to access the data they need. We want to make it as simple as possible, with everyone able to get the same answer to the same question. We know that thinking about data upfront means we can deliver meaningful results for our business and customers.The Team
The Data Team is a small but growing team meaning there's lots of opportunity for you to get stuck in, help us progress and for you to learn and grow yourself.
We all come together to solve the big data challenges we have, collaborating regularly as we find this is the best way to find out what each other is working on and how we might be able to either work together or improve on something. We also encourage healthy debates on how best to approach our problems and everyone at every level is encouraged to share their opinions. We value diversity of thought and know that everyone has something unique to offer the team.
How we work
We work in an agile way, always looking for ways to deliver quickly and iterate to improve. We work in sprints to deliver our goals, reviewing each other's work and encouraging constructive feedback so we can continually get better.
But we also hope to learn from you, bringing in best practices and approaches you have picked up in previous roles. We love to learn and we are always striving to make sure we are doing things in the best way possible.
Recognising people's individual needs, remote and part-time working has been hardwired into our way of life for a long time. Or if you prefer to be in the office, you can work at our amazing hubs in Kent, Birmingham and Maidenhead.
Learning and Progression
We support and encourage each other to learn new technologies, and take time out to research the next new thing and share with the team.
As well as team support you will also have your own Developer Lead, focussed on your development - as well as the support of the Head of Data, also here to coach and mentor you.
There are lots of opportunities to progress and we have an engineering framework that helps you define your own career path - enabled by dedicated conversations driven by you to help you reach your potential.
Apply now if you have*...
- Extensive experience working with BigQuery or similar cloud based data warehouse and writing advanced SQL queries.
- Experience working with Python & Airflow in a production environment.
- Experience working with Looker would be an advantage.
- Demonstrated experience building highly scalable and robust data pipelines.
- Experience working as a senior data engineer in a technology business.
- Strong leadership capability, demonstrating a culture of autonomy and responsibility - not afraid to make decisions and act quickly.
- Examples of a pragmatic approach to data delivery, understanding the pros (and cons) of shipping early and often.
- Strong collaboration skills with a range of people and teams - not afraid to challenge (with good intent and approach) to find the best solutions for our customers.
- Experience in influencing at all levels in order to make the best engineering decisions.
- A desire to be onboard and part of our future to transform travel.
*We would love to hear from you even if you don't think you tick all the above boxes, but feel you have something to bring to the team to help deliver our goals.
Apply now if you want...
- A workplace culture that enables you to make the most of your time - both in and out of work.
- A team you can learn from and who can learn from you.
- A wider community of amazing people who are rooting for you and have your back.
- The opportunity to stretch and grow your career on your terms.
- The ability to choose where and when you work.
- 25 days holiday
- Birthday day off
- Enhanced parental leave
- Life assurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Private medical insurance and health screening (after 4 years' service)
- Cycle-to-work schemes
- Electric car scheme
- Onsite fitness classes