Big Data Architect
About the role
Working within the Architecture function the Big Data Architect will be responsible for all aspects of data design, setting principles around data architecture and supporting the business goals for the data platform.
- Define core data platform and product architecture principles and guidelines, championing them across the company
- Responsible for technical solution design. Maintain, scale and extend a data platform to meet current and future company goals and objectives.
- Work collaboratively with Development, Data Engineering, Data Science and Product teams to understand requirements and architect solutions that conform with data architecture principles.
- Create solutions cognisant of strategic commercial goals, non-functional requirements and business value
- Review technical designs and participate in working groups to ensure adherence to standards and principles
What we are looking for
- Be an authority of data architecture patterns and functional data engineering principles to help design an industry leading domain driven distributed data platform.
- Contributing to the methods, and standards and keeping abreast of the technical advances in data engineering and presenting to the data guild.
- Knowledge of some relevant languages, tools and frameworks (e.g dbt, python, scala, spark, kafka, hadoop ecosystem, presto, hive, elasticsearch among others)
- Experienced working on Ingestion, streaming (pub/sub, kafka), eventing, big data technology, data lakes, data privacy, compliance, multi tenancy, integration patterns etc.
- Promote the adoption of tools and processes through coaching and working with engineers in product teams. Take a "hands-on" role in leading the adoption of the approaches, supporting engineers by working with them to deliver solutions.
- Experience of Azure desirable, but experience working within cloud architectures required
- Experience of working on scalable architecture in a very dynamic fast moving environment.
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Highly analytical mindset coupled with a commercial and practical approach
- Able to translate technical issues into simple language
Who we are looking for
- Delivery and goals orientation within a start-up environment
- Self-starter who enjoys ownership of driving and shaping architecture (and product) roadmaps
- A considerate team player
- Strong communicator, comfortable working with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Curious with a continuous learning mindset
- Business focussed